Friday, April 25, 2014

The Dilemna of Black and Brown




I was recently faced with the dilemna of  having only brown boots to wear with an almost all black outfit. Just before I put them on, I stopped myself. I always knew the rule to never wear black and brown. I was always told that black and brown clashed cuz they are too close in color. Theoretically this made sense because I agree too that two colors that are almost the same should never be worn together - like different shades of the same color. 

But I want to challenge the black and brown rule. Unless it’s a very dark brown they are honestly totally different. I don't think any neutral colors clash. You maybe have to be a little more cautious how you wear both colors at the same time, but please don’t let that rule limit your fashion. So I’m giving you the freedom to have at it. Wear black and brown. But even if it's "okay" fashionably, you always have to keep it balanced. Anything becomes unfashionable if it's unbalanced. So here's some tips to guide you through the Black and Brown dilemma.

If you wear brown boots with an all black outfit, throw on a matching brown belt to balance it. Or a brown cardigan or purse. Like the images below. What I did with my dilemna is I put on a kahki green jacket. It tied the brown with the black. So it totally works wearing brown and black. Just make sure the brown isn’t so dark that it’s very close to black. But honestly, have fun and add 2 tone layers, stripes, and other earthy colours. Also I find that the brown always dresses the outfit down a notch. Which normally in my case I always like to wear classy pieces and find some way to dress it down. But in cases wear you are going for the all black classy look, you want to keep away from the browns. Do not wear brown heels or boots in that case. 

 



The fun about fashion is that you can always find away to make it work. You just got to work it! So screw the don't mix Brown and Black rule! Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment